Illinois Heritage, the popular history magazine of the Illinois State Historical Society, is pleased to examine article submissions from Society members for possible publication. Non-members may also submit articles, but membership is encouraged, and member contributions will be given priority.
Unsolicited articles should be accompanied by a self-addressed, stamped envelope; be advised the editor is under no obligation to return said articles (or accompanying illustrations) without return postage.
Articles should adhere to the following guidelines:
- Feature articles should be no more than 3,000 words and should include headline suggestions, 3 sentence author biography, and captions (if illustrations are provided). Shorter articles of from 1,000-2,500 are also acceptable, depending on the publication needs of the editorial schedule.
- If illustrations are not provided, suggestions on possible illustrations and/or photographs and their locations should be made available to the editor.
- Subhead suggestions are welcome and encourage to help breakup feature copy.
- For style questions consult the Chicago Manual of Style, 14th Edition or later.
- Authors submitting articles to Illinois Heritage for possible publication should know our publication schedule is determined by the needs of the ISHS Board of Directors; the editor reserves the right to publish or not publish, subject to the needs of ISHS.
Should be about Illinois topics (non-fiction preferred) written or published in the last 18 months by Illinois authors/publishers, but make your case if the item you want to review is outside the basic guidelines.
We also consider reviews of DVDs, CDs, exhibits, websites, and public performances if about an Illinois topic or historical figure.
Reviews should be 800-1,000 words in length, and should include publication information (publisher, author, year of publication, format--cloth or paperback--and price).
Remuneration: Neither Illinois Heritage nor the not-for-profit Illinois State Historical Society offers remuneration for articles published by the Society. However, copyright to articles published by the ISHS are shared with the author, so that either may publish or republish without permission of the other party, although such notification might be in the best interest of both.
For more information about publishing in Illinois Heritage, call 217-525-2781, or email: ExecutiveDirector@HistoryIllinois.org