Sunday, April 14, 2024

Illinois Heritage

cover photos of Illinois Heritage magazine

Illinois Heritage Magazine

Illinois Heritage, the popular history magazine of the Illinois State Historical Society, was established in 1997 to encourage professional and amateur historians, museum professionals, teachers, genealogists, journalists, and other researchers to explore and write about Prairie State history for a broad audience.

Illinois Heritage is published six times per year and is available as a benefit of membership in the Illinois State Historical Society. Individual editions can also be purchased by contacting our office directly. Visit our Membership section for membership options and information.

Visit our Illinois Heritage Magazine section to see issue summaries and sample articles from recent releases.

Illinois State Historical Society   |   Strawbridge-Shepherd House   |   PO Box 1800   |   Springfield, IL 62705-1800

Creal Springs Seminary Historical Marker Dedication

Event date: 5/11/2019 1:00 PM - 2:00 PM Export event
/ Categories: Events, ISHS Event

Creal Springs Seminary Historical Marker Dedication

Sponsored by the Williamson County Historical Society, the Family of Mary Delilah Murrah Hulett, and the Illinois State Historical Society

Join us on Saturday, May 11, at 1 p.m. for the dedication of the Creal Springs Seminary historical marker.

Creal Springs Seminary opened on September 22, 1884. It was built on a five-acre tract purchased from Edward Creal by Gertrude Brown Murrah and her husband, Henry Clay Murrah, in March 1884. The school was built as a three-story frame structure with a basement and attic and was chartered in August 1888 by the State of Illinois. The school was headed by principal Gertrude Brown Murrah, a graduate of Mt. Carroll Seminar y in Mt. Carroll, Illinois, and was originally planned for female students only. Due to high demand from male students, it opened as co-educational. There were 59 students enrolled in the first 12-week term. The faculty had six members including the Murrahs. The program was divided into primary, preparatory, college-level, and music departments.

In January 1894, the school became a Baptist institution and the chartered name was changed to Creal Springs College and Conservatory of Music, where both bachelor's and master's degrees were offered. The faculty at this time numbered 15, with approximately 100 students enrolled. The college became an important part of community life with its many activities and social functions. Gertrude Murrah served as a teacher and principal of the school for 32 years until it closed on December 24, 1916. Mrs. Murrah continually struggled to reopen the school until her death in 1929. The building was demolished in 1943.

Parking for this event is available at the United Methodist Church parking lot just past the sign on the right side (east).

206 N. Line St
Creal Springs, Illinois (Map)


Please login or register to post comments.

Terms Of UsePrivacy StatementCopyright 2024 by Illinois State Historical Society
Back To Top