Sunday, April 14, 2024

Illinois Heritage

cover photos of Illinois Heritage magazine

Illinois Heritage Magazine

Illinois Heritage, the popular history magazine of the Illinois State Historical Society, was established in 1997 to encourage professional and amateur historians, museum professionals, teachers, genealogists, journalists, and other researchers to explore and write about Prairie State history for a broad audience.

Illinois Heritage is published six times per year and is available as a benefit of membership in the Illinois State Historical Society. Individual editions can also be purchased by contacting our office directly. Visit our Membership section for membership options and information.

Visit our Illinois Heritage Magazine section to see issue summaries and sample articles from recent releases.

Illinois State Historical Society   |   Strawbridge-Shepherd House   |   PO Box 1800   |   Springfield, IL 62705-1800

**POSTPONED** Stone Mill Museum Historical Marker Dedication

Event date: 5/16/2021 1:00 PM - 2:00 PM Export event
/ Categories: Events, ISHS Event

**POSTPONED** Stone Mill Museum Historical Marker Dedication

Sandwich Historical Society and the Illinois State Historical Society

**This dedication has been postponed. A new calendar listing will be posted when the new dedication date is determined.**

Join us on Saturday,May 16, 2021, at 1:00 p.m. for the dedication of the Stone Mill Museum historical marker. The brief dedication will be followed by an open house and refreshments at the museum. The public is invited to attend the celebration.

Stone Mill Museum
315 E. Railroad Street
Sandwich, Illinois 60548 (Map)

Stone Mill Museum

In 1852, Sandwich pioneer William Patten returned from the gold fields of California with $2,000, a fortune at the time. With the coming of the railroad in 1853, his son, Robert Patten, a carpenter, built the town’s first lumberyard and steam gristmill, completed in 1856. Investment from his father and land donated by Sandwich founder Almon Gage, made this possible. The Sandwich Steam Gristmill produced 100 bags of flour each day making it a vital part of community life. In 1871, one of Patten’s partners absconded with funds and left the business and Patten in great debt. The Robert Patten family left for Kansas, and the business continued under new ownership.

The three-story limestone building was equipped with a 65 horsepower (80 hp in 1891) steam engine in the basement that could power three sets of grinding stones and seven roller mills. The upper floors housed bins, centrifugal reels, separators, purifier, dust collector, and storage bins. In 1879, a local newspaper reported flour production as high as 500 bags being shipped as far as Glasgow, Scotland.

The mill closed in 1892 and the machinery removed. Twice in 1902 someone tried to burn the building. It has since been uses as a machine shop, a farm equipment parts manufacturer, and for storage. In 1964, James Knight donated the building to the Sandwich Historical Society for a museum, which opened in 1969 and will continue to safeguard the legacy of Sandwich, Illinois.


Please login or register to post comments.

Terms Of UsePrivacy StatementCopyright 2024 by Illinois State Historical Society
Back To Top