George Rogers Clark Campsite Historical Marker Rededication
Join us on Sunday, November 17, at 2 p.m. at the Mary's River Covered Bridge site for the rededication of the George Rogers Clark Campsite historical marker.
In the third year of the American Revolutionary War, Lt. Col. George Rogers Clark and his army of 170 Virginians set out from Fort Massac (Metropolis) on their way to liberate the town of Kaskaskia from British control. On July 3, 1778, Clark's army crossed the old state road near Welge and established its fifth and final camp on the west side of St. Mary's River. On July 4, Clark's army marched to a staging point at Diamond Cross and later that evening attacked and secured Kaskaskia.
Mary's River Covered Bridge
IL-150 E (approximately 5 miles northeast of Chester)
Chester, IL (Map)