2022 RBMS Conference Scholarships Available
Rare Books and Manuscripts Section (RBMS) of the Association of College and Research Libraries
The Rare Books and Manuscripts Section (RBMS) of the Association of College and Research Libraries (ACRL) is currently accepting scholarship applications for the 2022 RBMS Conference, What Now? Reflection, Reckoning, and Recovery, the first hybrid RBMS conference, to be held in New Haven, CT and online, from June 21-24, 2022. The deadline to apply is January 24, 2022, and applicants will be notified on or before March 18, 2022.
RBMS is committed to increasing equity, diversity and inclusion in its membership and the special collections and archives professions. Accordingly, preference is given to applicants from underrepresented groups that have been historically marginalized or excluded due to race, ethnicity, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, economic background, age, and/or ability. For more information about the RBMS commitment to equity, diversity and inclusion, please visit the RBMS website. You can also give to the RBMS Scholarship Fund to directly impact these efforts.
Full and partial scholarships to the RBMS conference will be awarded. Full scholarships include a waiver of the conference registration fee (a $140 – $340 value depending on registration type) plus a travel stipend ($750). Partial scholarships provide complimentary registration (a $140 – $340 value depending on registration type) and may or may not include a travel stipend depending on applicant need/location ($400). The majority of scholarships will be awarded to support those who have not previously attended RBMS; a limited number of scholarships are available to individuals who have previously attended RBMS.
All candidates must be currently enrolled in a library, information science, or archival studies program; a graduate of such a program; OR currently employed or volunteering as a professional or paraprofessional in a rare books, special collections, or archives capacity.
The Scholarships Committee will take into consideration the following criteria when reviewing applicants:
- Evidence of commitment to and interest in the rare books, special collections, and/or archives fields
- For first-time conference participants: Interest in contributing to the profession
- For returning conference participants: Interest in contributing to the profession through proposed conference participation (speaker/moderator) and/or RBMS committee participation
- Potential to benefit professionally from attendance at the conference
- Financial need
In awarding the scholarships, preference will be given to:
- Applicants from underrepresented groups that have been historically marginalized or excluded due to race, ethnicity, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, economic background, age, and/or ability
- Applicants employed or volunteering at an institution (or in a position) that primarily serves one or more underrepresented and/or historically marginalized group(s)
- Applicants who are ACRL/RBMS members
- Applicants who have not previously received a scholarship from ACRL/RBMS
Scholarship recipients are required to attend the RBMS conference and complete the conference evaluation. To help us ensure the ongoing improvement of the scholarship program, all scholarship recipients will be required to submit a post-conference evaluation letter by July 29, 2022.
The deadline to apply is January 24, 2022 (11:59 pm PST). All applicants will be notified on or before March 18, 2022. Please see the RBMS Conference Website for more details and to apply: https://rbms2022.us2.pathable.com/apply-for-scholarship.